Let's Git it Started
This is written for people who generally try to avoid the terminal — it can be scary, but Liferay.Design is a lot like Zelda (you don't have to go alone 🥁)!
Any of the designers here can help you, or at least point you to someone who can.
Set aside about 45 — 60 min to get set up.
Step 1: Create a Github Account (3 min)
- Set up a personal account
- Choose the "free" plan
- Tailor your experience — if you'd like, this can be helpful
Step 2: Join the Team! (3 min)
- Look in your email for an invite to the Liferay Design GitHub Org — you should have received one from Paul or Victor. If you didn't please reach out in the #t-design-github channel.
- Publicize your membership! If you'd like Liferay Design to show up on your profile, we strongly encourage you to follow GitHub's guide.
Step 3: Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) (3 min)
It can be slightly inconvenient, but we strongly believe that the tradeoff is worth the extra security.
See GitHub's guide to Configuring two-factor authentication — please don't hesitate to ask in the channel if you run into any issues!
Step 4: Familiarize yourself with Git and Github (20 min)
- Read Hello World and complete the tutorial. (10 min)
- If you really, really, really aren't interested in this "technical" stuff, then this tutorial covers everything you'll need to create your bio page.
- Read Chris' post on Git Commit Messages — this will help you avoid Paul-like commit messages.
- Read the Git Handbook (10 min) for a good overview on the theory behind Git and GitHub.
- NB This is important and helpful information to understand at a high level because Liferay uses Git.
- Check out the GitHub's resources, and the team's Trello cards on Git.