Business in the context of design is the ability to understand the market, contribute to business goals to solve problems and create tools to improve the design lifecycle.
- Familiar with the market and company strategy.
- Reading and sharing analyst and industry reports.
- Can support the design strategy for one project/product.
- Define metrics that correspond to business goals (e.g. reducing support tickets, accessibility coverage).
- For example: when the business goal is to provide a marketing tool to quickly create landing pages — designers need to define metrics like speed-to-completion, etc.
- Can build the design strategy for one project/product.
- Relevant industry experience.
- Can coordinate the design strategy for all products in the company.
- Responsible for company-wide design decisions.
- Find solutions to big picture challenges. Can envision design solutions taking into account the product environment, influence from other company products, and competitors.
- Can envision the design strategy for all products in the company.
- Connects dots from existing products to envisioned products.
- Discover new markets.
- Proto-persona: Alen Fjalic, Bobby Ghoshal.
- You are a recognized industry expert in Design Strategy.
- Demonstrated success in the market.
- Generating significant business value for the company in terms of new verticals, new sources of revenue, etc.
- Designer-founders: Tom Kelly, Clark Valberg, Des Traynor, Brian Chesky.